Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reading "The Sweet In-Between"

So, in order to write, you have to read. We would-be authors all know this.

So, here is one you should read. Especially if you are curious about that elusive thing called "voice" that publishers and agents are always asking for.

I actually had Sheri Reynolds, the author of "The Sweet in-Between" as one of my professors at Old Dominion University; Woman Writers. I was introduced to some truly amazing writing that I would never had been introduced to if I hadn't taken the class. It is one of the few classes where I still have my notes.

"The Sweet In-Between" was not necessarily written as a young adult novel, though its protagonist is a young woman turning 18 and the story is a bit of a coming of age novel. Read it to enjoy the book, and as a would-be author, experience a wonderful example of a unique and distinctive "voice."

To find more of Sheri's books, and more about Sheri, check out her website: www.SheriReynolds.com

After reading and digesting this novel, I think I have a better understanding of what "voice" means, and I know that I have to get better at letting my characters speak for themselves, rather than me interpreting their words and translating them into my own.

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment